Eleuthera (Bahamas) forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Eleuthera (Bahamas) forum

The #1 'must belong to' forum for residents, visitors and friends of Eleuthera!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eleuthera v. Cat Island

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WVGIRL

Eleuthera v. Cat Island Empty
PostSubject: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi all!  I know this is an Eleuthera forum and not a Cat Island forum but I trust all of you guys on here so I wondered if I could please ask for opinions.  If not and this post is against the rules please feel let me know and delete it.

It is thankfully time for our semi-annual trip to the islands and I just wondered if anyone has any opinion as to Cat Island v. Eleuthera as far as quality and seclusion of beaches and quality of snorkeling? 

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
nuevowavo

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 11:43 am

I've been to Cat Island many times. The beaches are nice, longer in general than those on Eleuthera, but not as scenic. Snorkeling from shore is better on Eleuthera, although offshore fishing and diving are far better off Cat.
The real difference is in amenities. Very few restaurants, shops and hotels on Cat. We wouldn't have ever gone there if we didn't come by boat. We always stayed at Hawk's Nest on the south end of the Island, but if we didn't have our boat to go fishing we would have been bored to tears.
Back to top Go down
WVGIRL

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks for the info!  We usually eat at the house most of the time in Eleuthera so less restaurants doesn't really bother me.  But we really like snorkeling and would hate to go somewhere that the snorkeling wasn't as good as Eleuethera.  Last trip we had such good luck at twin coves.  Swam for a long time with a few rays.  I could watch them all day.
Back to top Go down
nuevowavo

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Not a lot of grocery stores on Cat, either.
If you do come back to Eleuthera, try snorkeling up at Tay Bay beach (right across from Preacher's Cave). The reefs right off the rocks at the western end hold an incredible variety of life.
Back to top Go down
WVGIRL

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Okay thanks for the tip!  I think we have only visited that beach once and I don't think we tried snorkeling there.  I figure we will be back to Eleuthera this summer.  I just thought it might be nice to try a different out island but Eleuthera is hard to beat!
Back to top Go down
WVGIRL

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:41 am

Maybe I should ask if anyone thinks the snorkeling is as good or better on any of the other out islands as it is on Eleuthera?
Back to top Go down
nuevowavo

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 12:04 pm

There's great snorkeling all over the Bahamas, but we haven't found any island that compares to Eleuthera as far as access to snorkeling sites from the beach is concerned.
We've visited Bimini, Cat, the Abacos, Little San Salvador, Grand Bahama, the Exumas, Andros, New Providence, and the Berry Islands numerous times, and haven't found any that compare, unless you've got a boat.
Back to top Go down
WVGIRL

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks so much!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eleuthera v. Cat Island   Eleuthera v. Cat Island Empty

Back to top Go down

Eleuthera v. Cat Island
Page 1 of 1